I have been reading a chapter in Proverbs daily now for a number of years. The Proverbs are very instructional, and I really enjoy reading them.
When I am out doing street witnessing and talking to the unconverted, Proverbs is one of books of the Bible that I suggest they read (along with the gospel of John).
This morning as I was reading Proverbs chapter 6, I got an interesting idea about how to better remember what I had read.
I divided up each different thought in the chapter and gave it a title, and then memorized the title. With chapter 6, this was quite easy as there were only 10 main thoughts.
Here is how I divided up the 6th chapter:
Outline of Proverbs 6:
1. Warning against Surety 1-5
2. Laziness and the Sluggard 6-11
3. The Perverse Person 12-15
4. Seven Things the Lord Hates 16-19
5. Learning the Way of the Lord from Your Parents 20-21
6. The Commandments Will Guide and Keep You 22-23
7. A Warning Concerning Evil Women 24-26
8. An Adulterous Women Is Like Fire 27-29
9. The Thief Must Repay Sevenfold 30-31
10. The Husband of an Adulterous Women Is Angry 32-35
Then I thought I would do it for each chapter and publish it in a booklet to pass out. So I thought not only a breakdown of each chapter would be good, but an alphabetical index of all the different thoughts in each of the chapters of Proverbs.
Here is the index I came up with for chapter 6.
Index of Proverbs 6:
Adulterous Women, Husband is Angry 6:32-35
Adulterous Women, Is Like Fire 6:27-29
Angry Husband 6:32-35
Angry Husband of the Adulterous Woman 6:32-35
Commandments Will Guide and Keep You 6:22-23
Evil Women, Warning Concerning 6:24-26
Guide, Keep, Commandments Will 6:22-23
Hates, Seven Things the Lord 6:16-19
Husband of the Adulterous Women Is Angry 6:32-35
Keep, Guide, Commandments Will 6:22-23
Laziness and the Sluggard 6:6-11
Learning the Way of the Lord from Parents 6:20-21
Parents, Learning the Way of the Lord from 6:20-21
Perverse Person 6:12-15
Repay, Sevenfold, the Thief Must
Seven Things the Lord Hates 6:16-19
Sevenfold, Thief Must Repay 6:30-31
Sluggard and Laziness 6:6-11
Surety, Warning against 6:1-5
Thief Must Repay Sevenfold 6:30-31
Warning against Surety 6:1-5
Women, Adulterous, Husband Is Angry 6:32-35
Women, Adulterous, Is Like Fire 6:27-29
Women, Evil, Warning Concerning 6:24-26
Words in Proverbs 6: (I am not sure what I will do with this list of words yet)
I really enjoyed doing this and I suggest that you my want to do the same. This will help you in a number of ways.
1. It makes you think about what the main thoughts of each chapter are.
2. It will help you remember where different thoughts in Proverbs are.
3. It is a good way to start to study your Bible. So many Christians don’t study their Bibles!