Practical Christian Living
- Your Next Plane Ride Could Be Your Last -
“We’re going down — brace for impact,” the captain told the people. The cabin was silent and many people were praying.
Well, I wonder how many out of the 155 people on the flight were ready? You can read about this story on CNN, if you haven’t already.
Most plane [...]
- Cautions and Directions Given to the Methodist Societies - The following seven advices were written by John Wesley and published in a separate tract in the year 1762, under the title of “Cautions and Directions given to the Greatest Professors in the Methodist Societies,” with the following motto: — “Set the false witnesses aside, yet hold the truth for [...]
- Friend of Jesus - Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. — Joh 15:14
Every one wants to have friends: Someone who loves them and cares for them, someone who wants to spend time with them, someone who has similar interests and outlook on life.
As social beings, this is [...]
- Sanctification Through the Spirit by the Word - Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. — Joh 17:17
Recorded in John 17 is the High-priestly prayer of Jesus. He prayed this prayer on this way to the garden of Gethsemane the night he was be betrayed, arrested, and forsaken.
John says that Jesus lifted up his eyes [...]
- My Love for Jesus - Besides prayer and reading of the Word of God, their seems to be no better way to start your day than with “hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord” (Eph 5:19).
As I was singing these two spiritual songs this morning (My Saviors Love [...]
- Know Nothing Except Jesus Christ and Him Crucified - God “hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son” and his Son is the “express image of his person” (Heb 1:3), yea, the “image of the invisible God” (Col 1:15).
It is “him with whom we have to do” (Heb 4:13). It is He who “leaving us [...]
- Thou Shalt Love the Lord Thy God - And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other [...]
- How to Promote a Revival - Note of Introduction-by Bob Mutch:
I think there are many good things in Finney’s writings, which I myself have benefited from. However, sometimes he can be difficult to understand. I have had a number of people misunderstand this article, so I feel the need to offer some guidance in the use [...]
- Victory over Anger - Anger is a response to something that a person considers negative that has happened around them or to them. It is an emotion which has various levels of intensity and different responses.
People undergo changes in their personality when they get angry. They often are no longer in control, become irrational, and [...]
- God Deserves Faithfulness - I see the experience of sin-free living and obedience to God as something that real Bible salvation gives us. Not something positionally that needs to be realized, so that we can have it experimentally through some kind of additional experience after we are converted.
I like the picture of a pure young [...]
- Looking For a Different Congregation - The subject of whether to look for a different congregation or not is on the mind of many people. This is an issue that comes up as God leads people into a deeper Christian walk and they receive more light and understanding. They have to address the following question: “Do [...]
- Christian Discipleship - Lately I have been thinking a lot about accountability to the brethren, the discipleship of new converts, and church life. I have written a short article on Accountability to the Brethren, one on Discipleship of New Converts, and A Poem on taking heed to ourselves, to the brethren, and on [...]
- Tips for Plain-Life Christians to Become Debt-free - Christians should not be tying themselves down with unnecessary debt, but rather be working to free themselves of it so that they can have more time to spend with their children and work for the Lord. The idea of incurring debt for luxury items is the way of the world.
- Helps For New Christians - I put together a booklet for new Christians.
It has the following articles in it:
Instructions For New Christians
Marks of a Victorious Life
Growing in Grace
How to Increase in the Fruit of the Spirit
God Promises Complete Victory Over All Sin
The Importance of Personal Devotions
Retire Early and Get up Early
- Using Harsh Language - I have been reading a book by Peter Hoover called The Secret of the Strength (SOS). I have found it interesting and informative. It introduces the reader to many different Anabaptist leaders and writers, and shows what they taught on a number of different subjects.
I have to admit that, [...]
- Which Do You Esteem Higher? - Many people today are valuing self and their bodies higher than their soul. The body will soon die and it will be buried in the ground, but the soul will live forever. The following are a few questions to ask yourself – to show which you value higher:
1. Before you [...]
- Faith and Works - The Bible clearly teaches that salvation delivers us from sinning. In fact, this is what the word salvation means – deliverance. The Greek word σωτηια, which is translated as “salvation” 44 times in the KJV, and is defined by Thayer’s Lexicon as “deliverance”.
This deliverance is not only from the love [...]
- The Old Covenant & New Covenant Law Compared - Christians are not lawless or without law. We are alive not only the New Testament perfect law of liberty and its’ letter, but alive also to the Spirit of God that works that law in our heart.
Christians are dead to the Old Covenant law (the first 5 books of the [...]
- Discipleship of New Converts - The person that leads a new convert, deceived professor, or recovered backslider to the Lord is responsible to disciple that person. First, you want to lead the seeker into a true conversion. Here is what the Bible teaches on true conversion.
You should work to lead the convert into seeing the [...]
- Harvest Is Plenteous, Laborers Are Few - The harvest truly is plenteous, but the laborers are few; Mat 9:37
Established Christians are called by the Word of God to go out into the world to lead sinners, backsliders, and the religiously deceived to Christ.
The call is to teach them to “observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you”, [...]
- How Is Your Soul Burden? - I was just thinking this morning, wouldn’t it be wonderful if every Christian could put it in their heart to win one soul for Jesus this year?
To lead one soul to Christ, follow up and disciple them, help them get established and then put in the new Christian’s heart [...]
- Marks of a Victorious Life - 1. Free from Sin — Free not just the penalty and the love of sin, but the power and the pollution of sin, and desiring to go and be with Jesus where they will be free from the presence of sin. They are not free from just practicing sin, nor [...]
- How to Increase in the Fruit of the Spirit - As good trees bring forth good fruit and corrupt trees bring forth evil fruit (Mat 7:17), so those that profess the name of Christ are known by their fruit (Mat 7:20). A good tree doesn’t bring forth corrupt fruit (Luk 6:43). Those that have received and understand the Word will [...]
- Growing in Grace - We are commanded of the Lord to grow in grace and the knowledge of God (2Pet 3:18). The Greek word χαρισ (charis) translated ‘grace’ is defined by the Thayer Greek Lexicon as “2a) of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to [...]
- Have You Brought Forth Much Fruit? - Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Joh 15:8 Luk 3:9
If you are truly saved, it will be your desire to bring honor to God. As it is a [...]
« Prev - Next »