Practical Christian Living
- I Was Only Joking - Just as damaging as a madman shooting a deadly weapon is someone who lies to a friend and then says, “I was only joking.”
– Pr 26:18-19 NLT
I am amazed by the number of spiritual-minded Christians who will tell a lie and then a bit later say “I was only joking”, [...]
- Being Not a Forgetful Hearer - But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. –Jas 1:25
In one week, the typical Christian hears 1 Sunday school teaching, 1 or 2 preached messages [...]
- Nine a Day Is One Per Month - Nine chapters in the New Testament each day will read you through the New Testament in a month. This month I am reading through the New Testament in the NASB version. Here are a few comments on the scriptures that spoke to me in yesterday’s reading.
Joh 3:20 For [...]
- A Blow at the Root - “Without holiness no man shall see the Lord,” shall see the face of God in glory. Nothing under heaven can be more sure than this; “for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.”
No, it cannot be; none that shall live with God, but he that now lives to God; [...]
- Contrast between Old Testament and New Testament - Old Testament:
Longing Job 23:3
Creator Gen 1:1
Majestic God Ex 19:18
First Things Gen 1:1
Spiritual Darkness Ps 82:5
Satan’s Victory Gen 3:6
Sin’s Curse Gen 3:17-19
Death Regnant Gen 3:19
Bloody Sacrifices Ex 12:3-7
Bondage Pr 5:22
Law Ex 20:1-17
Types And Shadows Heb 8:5
Outward Ceremonies Heb 9:10
The Letter Rom 7:6
Prophecy Isa 11:1-2
Expected Messiah Mal 3:1
Paradise Lost Gen 3:23
- Emotions in Private and Public Worship - Question: Is it true that emotionalism is mistaken for spirituality, and doesn’t the glory of God manifest itself in a person living like Jesus did; denying self and the flesh to serve others?
Answer: I would agree with you that the glory of God is holy, selfless, sanctified living that has [...]
- Seven Editions of Divine Law - “The divine method of gradual revelation and publication of the law was given in seven steps.
It was first written upon nature, next upon man’s conscience, then the fundamental principles upon the tables of stone. In due time Jesus appeared as the perfect embodiment of the truth, which he illustrated in [...]
- Read through the New Testament Monthly - With the help of the Lord I am taking the Word of God more serious. In Romans 10:17 we are told that “faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
To me, this means if we as the children of God read the Word of God in the [...]
- Are You Being a Good Steward of Your Teeth? - Personal hygiene is important! As ambassadors of Christ (2Co 5:20) we are representing God, and while our main emphasis is to be on the inward adorning of the hidden man of the heart (1Pe 3:4), we should be careful not to forget the outward.
We should dress neat, wear clean clothes, [...]
- The Use of Money - The following are John Wesley’s 4 questions from his sermon The Use of Money.
If, then, a doubt should at any time arise in your mind concerning what you are going to expend, either on yourself or any part of your family, you have an easy way to remove it. Calmly [...]
- That Is Dying to Self - When you are forgotten, neglected, or purposely set at naught, and you don’t sting or hurt with the oversight, but your heart is happy being counted worthy to suffer for Christ;
That is dying to self.
When your good is evil spoken of, when your wishes are crossed, your advice disregarded, your [...]
- Areas I Need Spiritual Growth - Back on April the 14th, I posted how the Lord was dealing with me about giving up playing chess on the Internet and over the board, reading international news on the Internet and in books, and reading electronic gadget and electric vehicle blogs on the Internet.
I had been spending on [...]
- You Have Not Because You Ask Not - Have you ever considered why you don’t have grace in different areas in your life? Could it be that “you have not because you ask not” (Jam 4:2)?
Did you humble yourself before others and confess your need? Perhaps you asked without faith and in doubt? Did you give up [...]
- Following the Example of Jesus in Prayer - Jesus was a praying man, and we are called to follow his example.
1Pet 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
1Joh 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, [...]
- Unforgiveness Will Keep You Out of Heaven - In my opinion, there are a number of very difficult things for a career criminal or street person to get victory over after they are saved. One is how they deal with people that rip them off.
This is an area in my life that the Lord has been dealing [...]
- Devotional and Study Helps - I updated the short list of recommended devotional and study helps in my How to Become More Christ-like booklet. Those that don’t read devotional books on practical Christian living and don’t have Bible study helps are at a disadvantage.
Here is the short list:
Devotional Books: The Imitation of Christ by Thomas [...]
- Religious Affections - I read the “Introduction” to Jonathan Edwards’ “A Treatise Concerning Religious Affections” this morning and liked his list of what are and what are not the distinguishing signs of true grace.
Here is Edwards’ list of those things that are not.
1. That religious affections are very great, or raised very high, [...]
- Compassion Canada - Today, Jennifer shared with me the work she is doing with Compassion Canada and gave me a copy of the Compassion Today Magazine.
The US branch of Compassion Canada is Compassion International. They have lots of interesting posts on their Compassion International Blog.
Compassion International utilizes social media to forward their cause [...]
- Questions from ‘Perfect Love’ - I just posted the questions from E.T. Curnick’s A Catechism on Christian Perfection, and I thought it would be good while I am on the subject to post the questions from J.A. Wood’s book ‘Perfect Love’.
J.A. Wood’s book ‘Perfect Love’ had two main editions, the original edition when the book [...]
- Glorious Time with the Lord - This morning I had a glorious time with the Lord in prayer, singing of hymns, and praise with weeping as I entered into a deeper consecration of my life and time.
Here are some of the hymns I sang in praise to the Lord.
Sitting At The Feet Of Jesus
My Soul, [...]
- Jesus Went About Doing Good - We are called to follow Jesus and to “walk in the same manner as He walked” (1Joh 2:6 NASB) for he left us “an example” that we “follow in His steps” (1Pet 2:21 NASB).
And how did Jesus walk? He was “anointed with the Holy Spirit and with power” and “went [...]
- More Walk, Less Talk -
In all labor there is profit. But mere talk leads only to poverty.
– Pro 14:23 NASB
Today I had a very good time of prayer and weeping before the Lord, asking for him to help me to be more of what he wants me to be, to help me to get [...]
- A Catechism on Christian Perfection - The book ‘A Catechism on Christian Perfection’ by Edward T. Curnick is a gem. I am only on page 19 of this book that I am reading from Russell Stephenson’s library, but I am enjoying it so much I purchased two copies this morning.
I found the first copy of A [...]
- Add to Your Faith the Fruit of the Spirit - This morning I was studying 2 Timothy 3:5: “having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof.” This led me to do a word study on a number of Greek and English words like εὐσέβεια (eusebeia), godliness, piety, and virtue.
I have read Benjamin Franklin’s list of virtues before, but [...]
- Your Leaving Everything Here - For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. — 1Tim 6:7 NASB
Stop for just a moment and meditate on this. Your bank account, your home, your car, and everything you hold dear is going to be left here. You can’t [...]
« Prev - Next »