- What the Promise of the Holy Spirit Does - 1. The Spirit dwells with all believers, but is promised to be within those that receive the promise.
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in [...]
- Promise of the Holy Spirit - 1. The promise of the Father and the baptism of the Holy Spirit are one and the same thing.
Luk 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
Act 1:4,5 And, [...]
- Points on Receiving Correction - 1. Hear a person out that is correcting you, unless they are accusing you of something that is not true. In the case of being falsely accused, you should clearly state that you consider what they are saying is false and that they don’t have their facts correct. If the [...]
- Points on Giving Correction - 1. You should keep in mind that you also have many faults that others must bear with and when you are correcting others to never do it in contempt. While you are told to rebuke those that sin before all (1Tim 5:20), when you are dealing with other’s faults, mistakes, [...]
- Considering Eternal Security & the IF Scriptures - I am planning on doing a series of articles on the teaching of Eternal Security over the next several months. Personally, I was a strong believer on the teaching of Eternal Security when I first became a believer back in 1982.
After I embraced the teaching of Holiness and that Christ [...]
- On Judging - When I see faults in the brethren, I have made it a practice of looking inward to see if that fault or a similar fault is in me. If so, I give the brethren the excuse I have been making for myself, and put the judgment on myself that I [...]
- Establish Your Hearts With Grace Not Meats -
“For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.” (Heb 13:9)
I would like to note the importance of emphasizing practical teachings and not so much on getting every one straightened out on non-practical [...]
- How to Stop Falling Into Sin - I am going to make some statements in this post that are strong and forward and I mean them with all my heart.
If you are going to profess Christ, you must get serious about staying free from sin. The cycle of sinning and repenting must be broken and you must [...]
- Is Your Body Holy? - Here is a short study on what the Bible says about our bodies:
–You are a spirit in a body (Jam 2:26).
–If you are a child of God your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit of God (1Cor 6:19).
–You are to be hard on your body and bring it [...]
- Move Forward for God - All forward moves to do better spiritually must be supported by an increase in spiritual fervency. When we move into enemy territory we need a supply line, just like in the natural. If we try to move forward without this support line, we will soon find ourselves unable to hold [...]
- How to be More Christ Like - Relationships – work to develop a personal relationship with God that is based on love (Joh 14:21); love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself (Mar 12:30, 21), and do to others as you would want them to do to you (Luk 6:31); maintain a healthy [...]
- Who is a Jew, Israel, and Jerusalem? - I would hold that the Bible teaches the church has replaced Israel as God’s people. Christians are inwardly Jews, called the house of Israel, and are referred to as Jerusalem.
A Christian is a Jew inwardly:
Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that [...]
- Progress From Grace to Sin in 8 Steps - I have been reading John Wesley’s sermons on the issue of sin and the believer in order to better understand his position on the issue of what happens if a Christian sins. In doing this, I just gained a better insight for myself on how I can resist temptation so [...]
- Are You Praying for Wisdom? - Wisdom is the ability to discern and exercise good judgment and it is developed by experience — well in most cases. We are told by James that “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall [...]
- 24 Reasons Not to Betray Christ -
1. You will no longer be happy and blessed (Rom 4:7).
Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
2. You will be miserable (Rom 3:16).
Destruction and misery are in their ways.
3. You will be in distress and agony (Rom 7:24).
O wretched man that I am.
4. You will [...]
- Salvation by Works? - From time to time I am accused of believing in salvation by works. Typically those that make these charges will hold that I believe in salvation but faith and works even through I clearly tell them I believe in salvation by grace alone though faith alone and if faith doesn’t [...]
- A Good Definition of Legalism - Often when I try to show professing Christians they must keep the moral law of Christ or their faith is dead (Jam 2:17) I get accused of legalism or of being a Pharisee. Most people misunderstand what legalism really is. I would consider a good example of legalism today [...]
- Retire Early and Get up Early - This is one of the most important things a Christian can do. If you don’t retire early you will not get up early. If you don’t get up early you will not have proper devotions. If you don’t have proper devotions your Christian life will be up [...]
- The Importance of Personal Devotions - While I think there are a number of things that are more important that personal devotions I have chosen devotions as one of the most important area in my Christian walk that I need to work on. I have placed it second to retiring and getting up early because [...]
- Grace Offered For Obedience -
Here are scriptures that support the position that God is able to keep his children from failing in temptations and falling into sin.
1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted [...]
- What Teaching Do You Hobby Horse? - One mark that shows a person or a group of people are off base is when their main emphasis is on some thing other than the two greatest commandments — loving the Lord with all your heart, mind, and strength (living a holy life) and loving your neighbor as yourself [...]
- Pauls Experience in Romans Chapter 7 - Most Protestant sects teach that Paul’s experience in Romans chapter 7 is the experience we are to expect as a Christian. One of sinning and repenting, bemoaning our wretched experience, doing the evil we don’t want to do, and being captive to the law of sin.
I hold [...]
- How is Your Thought Life? - In yesterdays morning devotions I was meditating on Phil 4:8 and 2Cor 10:3-5.
Phil 4:8: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there [...]
- How to Deal with Disappointments - When things in your life don’t go the way you want them and disappointments come there are five important things we as Christians must do.
#1. Don’t give into pity, depression, or discouragement:
Some of us by nature are more susceptible to depression and feel sorry for ourselves than others. The [...]