Question: Bob have you realized that it was not a man or ideology that was all to blame but there was something wrong with you or you would not have so easily fallen prey to Restoration error.
Answer: To some degree, yes I have. All those that have been a part of the Restoration to one point or another imbibed in the “we are it” spirit. Perhaps some more and some less but we all were a part of that spirit.
We all to some degree pointed people to Jesus and the “one true visible church” (OTVC). To some, if not most, the OTVC was a golden calf just like tongues to the Pentecostal, Saturday keeping to the Seventh Day Adventist, Oneness and Jesus name baptism to the United Pentecostals, and baptism regeneration to the Church of Christ groups.
Most that have left the Restoration are in denial and state they had not imbibed the spirit of sect OTVC like most. I have even found myself saying this very same thing. But all I have to do is look back at some of the articles I wrote for the Restoration and see that I imbibed the golden calf of sect OTVC more than I like to admit.
So the first step is to realize what great error we were in and the next is to repent before God and confess our error publically. The Church of God Restoration category on my this blog is where I have made my public confession of the sin of god making and idol worship.
I confess that I was deceived by man into believing the OTVC teaching, and pointing people to the golden calf of sect OTVC. And I would point out here, we had a golden calf long before Danny Layne came around. Layne just helped us develope a more fervent love for the golden calf that we already had.
This golden calf was us, or better put this golden calf was me — raw self worship. So in reality we were pointing others to us. Or perhaps better said I was pointing people to me! This is the sin of pride, idol worship, and self worship and caters to the depraved nature that we claimed to be free from.
When you point people to something other than Christ or even to Christ and something else you have created your own god. It doesn’t matter if it is tongues, Saturday keeping, Oneness and Jesus name, baptismal regeneration, or OTVC — it is a god. Of these errors OTVC is the worst as you are not only pointing people to a false concept or doctrine but you are pointing them to yourself!
We may plea ignorance but we still must repent of the sin of god making and idolatry that we committed while we were in the Restoration. And this is not only the Restoration but it is the Guthie group and the German COG group and yea all other OTVC groups whether they are of the Warnerite, Holdemanite, or Campbellite branches.
The longer we are away from sect OTVC (the Restoration) the clearer our understanding of our sin of god making and idolatry should become. Likewise the deeper and clearer our repentance for that sin should be. Personally I have only been out of the Restoration for 2 years and I only starting to see how wicked the golden calf of OTVC is.
The OTVC golden calf corrupts peoples sense of doing unto others what you would want them to do to you. The Restoration will tell people you should check out all rumors you hear about them but then they will willful turn around and take up any rumor they can get against those that have left or been put out and refuse to check it out and repeat it as the truth.
The OTVC golden calf corrupts peoples sense of being led of the Spirit of God. You must now accept and hold to what the Restoration teaching you in doctrine, practice, and dress. It takes away the dependance on the Spirit of God to lead and guide you and replaces it with the direction of man. While this many seem find as long was they are teaching what you consider the truth it is a system with out checks in balances. When you put your trust in man and get all your leading from man you are setting yourself up to believe a lie.
The OTVC golden calf corrupts peoples sense of determining by the Word and Spirit who is a child of God. If the Restoration holds that someone who rejects their golden calf is not saved then you must follow their example of calling that which is clean to be unclean. This is an abomination to God.
The list could go on but I will leave it there for now.
What what is the bottom line.
1. Forsake all groups that claim to be the OTVC.
2. Repent before God for the sin of god making and idol worship and then openly confess this publically and blame only yourself.
3. Don’t blame it on Layne. This was the fallen response of Adam and Eve. Why it was that women you give me, oh it was the snake that tempted me, or it was Danny Layne that deceived me.
4. Don’t be bitter. If you own up and blame yourself and not others this will help you to not be bitter. It is much easier to forgive yourself and not to be bitter toward yourself than to forgive and to not be bitter toward others.
5. If you have been bitter and shown a nasty spirit toward the Restoration confess that before God and make it right with those that you have slandered. We don’t know who will be next to leave the Restoration.
6. Stand free and don’t be entangled again in the yoke of bondage and angel (minister) worship.
7. Don’t throw out all the good you learned while with the Restoration. Throw out the bath water but keep the baby.
8. Seek God like you have never sought him before. Pray, pray, pray, and then pray some more. Love the Word of God and read, meditate, and memorize it like you have never done before.
9. Heap coals of fire on the heads of the Restoration but doing good to them. Be kind to them when you meet them. Help them out all you can. Go out of your way to bless them. Give them the benefit of the doubt and accept them as Christians. PRAY FOR THEM!
10. Stop gossiping about them! Get over it! Grow up! Move on! Live right! Work for Jesus! Get ready to die and go to heaven — I have. We will all be dead and find ourselves standing before God in no time at all.